Six

Bridge

Bridge “George V”, Orléans, France

Six lampposts on the bridge “George V” in Orléans, France. A long exposure: 85 seconds.

The “George V Bridge” is a road and tram bridge that crosses the Loire in Orléans, France. It is an arched masonry bridge spanning a distance of 325 m. Designed by Jean Hupeau, it was built between 1751 to 1760, at the request of Daniel-Charles Trudaine, administrator and civil engineer. (Source: Wikipedia)

The first bridge in Orléans dates back to Gallic times . It led from the  current street called “Lin” to “Saint-Marceau”. Several other wooden  bridges succeeded the first one. Built in the early twelfth century , the bridge called “pont des Tourelles” distinguished itself from it’s predecessors. Not only was it built in stone , but , abandoning the tradition , it linked the current streets “Hôtelleries” and “Saint-Marceau” . The new bridge spanned the river bearing on islands. These islands then housed a hospice and a chapel.

The north side of the bridge led to the “Châtelet” ; the south side ended at “Fort des Tourelles” , where the decisive battle of the siege of 1429 took place. During the mid-eighteenth century , the construction of the bridge “pont Royal”, nowadays called bridge “George V” resulted in the destruction of the islands and the bridge “pont des Tourelles”. (Source: Mairie d’Orléans, in French)

 


Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *